Behind today's door - a SNCC support button, because deep in my heart, I do believe, that we shall overcome some day.
The Work of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee 1960-1966
Watch the short clip about the organisation. There is also a really clear summary on the History Channel website - click here.
- Make a list of five examples of actions / campaigns by SNCC
- Identify some of the abuse they put up with
- Explain how they led to progress in civil rights
- Identify any limitations or negatives in their campaigns
- How did the organisation change over time?
"An organization which claims to be working for the needs of a community - as SNCC does - must work to provide that community with a position of strength from which to make its voice heard. This is the significance of Black Power beyond the slogan."