Revise each president's policy in Vietnam
Behind today's door - The Strategic Hamlet Program, because when revising it's important to recognise failure, and hopefully learn from it!
How did each presidential administration get more involved in Vietnam? 1947-1965
Here are four US presidents. Harry S Truman is a bit of a red herring as I've only included him because he had a doctrine named after him (what was that about and why is it important for this question?) and because his administration propped up the French in Indo-China with funds. There is more to write about the other three.
For each president, make three columns of notes:
- Why was the situation in Indo-China/Viet-Nam a concern?
- What policies did he bring in to combat the issue?
- How successful were those policies/why did that lead to him having to bring in a new policy?
Next, jot down a few sentences evaluating their performances:
- Do you blame Johnson alone for starting the war?
- Could the pointlessness of the war have been predicted in the late 1950s?
- Can you make links with the Superpowers & the Cold War topic, to try to understand why a small bit of East Asia seemed so important?
Type an answer to the question below and upload it using the form on this page. (Markscheme)
Explain why the USA got involved in Vietnam. You may use the following in your answer:
- The Domino Theory
- The corruption of President Ngo Diem
You must use information of your own.